{mexican cooking} deep fried icecream

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

this starts mexican cooking segment on my blog...I married into a family that adores mexican food. Kent's granny lived in Arizona for many many years. She moved up here in 1965. Along with her she brought her recipes for mexican food. It has now become a family tradition. She taught her daughters and daughter in law. Kent's momma! We always vote on skipping turkey and going straight to mexican food. 
After spending a month is Arizona this winter, Kent tried deep fried icecream everywhere he could. Auntie Anna phoned me with a great recipe.  I tweaked the recipe just like I always do to suit my style. This is my version and it was a huge hit. Kent is hoping for it every night. I made it for a dinner party we had this past weekend along with our other favourites. I will post recipes/photos of those in the next few weeks. stay tuned. In true Watson fashion I thought I would start with the desert first....


deep fried icecream
this takes some time to prepare so start at least the day before.
icecream; I used breyer french vanilla. I suspose you could use any flavor.
almonds, cornflakes; I blended in food processer to a bit finer consistency. Added some  cinnamon...
Scoop out icecream balls. FREEZE for at least 1 hour. Then roll and squish in the almond cornflake mixture into balls. then FREEZE again for 1 hour. Then wisk a couple of eggs. Dip balls in the egg mixture and then in almond cornflake mixture to coat. Then FREEZE again for an hour.(make sure to use deep freezer to get solid freeze) then do egg/ almond coating again two more times. On last layer I mixed a little white sugar in the almond mixture to change things up a bit. I don't have measurements since I just made a large batch.
Then let these FREEZE~! leave frozen till ready to use.
deepfryer; since we're not a big deepfryer cooking family. I just used a pot with canola oil and my candy thermometer. I heated the oil to 350 degrees. Wowser this is very HOT! Carefully; drop the frozen balls into the hot oil and count to ten. take out and it should be hot and crispy on the outside. I have this amazing mesh strainer style spoon called a skimmer  that I got from pampered chef that works like a charm for this. Serve immediately ....we used smuckers strawberry and chocolate sauce and whip cream to garnish.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12.4.11

    Yummmmmy Tam! This looks amazing! *Drool*

    Nina

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground