A day at the ranch...Fraser River Ranch

Saturday, April 23, 2011


do you ever wonder where your food comes from...well I'm here to show you part of the process!

~branding day at Fraser River Ranch. Our friends Mike & Monica Altwasser run this ranch along with the help of others...today lots of friends showed up for their first day of branding. Wow! high production!  They hoped to get 350 calves done today~ 199 were completed by lunch time.
 The cowboys first wrangle up the calves,,,and pull them to the two volunteers who flip them over and pin them down. One guy holds the leg and the other with his knees on the shoulders....then a series of afflictions are set in motion; various shots, another ear tag, more shots, castrations, (I had to ask what this was...), Branding, horn removal.....poor calf doesn't know what hit him! I tried my hand at the ear tagging....ahhhh! I'm definately not a rancher...I secretly apologized to each calf after I did it. Boy did they squirm for that...Kent thought I should try my hand at holding a calf.  I passed! ~ I appreciate that there are people that can do this job~it isn't me!

On a side note! My kids will never get a tattoo! I told them this is how it's done...with a hot poker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground